Anchored by the busy La Mesa Community Center, this park dates to 1939 and is home to the city's Community Services Department. A youth recreation center followed in 1948, and then the Nan Couts' Girl's Cottage in 1956, named for a famed local volunteer and organizer. Couts Cottage, which remains, is used by many groups for community events and celebrations. The La Mesa Municipal Pool opened in 1953, and the 9-hole golf course opened in 1958, according to local historian James Newland. The Sun Valley Golf Course, on the north edge of the park, is open to the public but not operated by the city. It also has a driving range and a pro shop. A delightful fenced tot lot is north of the La Mesa Community Center parking lot. The La Mesa National Little League and other groups use the adjacent ballfield across Memorial Drive.