A century of history will be celebrated by the Helix Water District as officials mark the 100th anniversary of the public district's formation during the Nov. 6 board of directors meeting.
The La Mesa, Lemon Grove, Spring Valley Irrigation District was formed by a 397-3 vote Nov. 1, 1913. Early efforts to secure water for East County included a $2 million purchase of the Cuyamaca Flume Co. The deal came with land, facilities and water rights.
After incorporating the El Cajon Valley Irrigation District and La Mesa Islands in the early 1950s, the became the Helix Irrigation District in 1956. By 1971, additional expansion required yet another name change, this time to the Helix Water District.
Today, the district serves 567,000 people in La Mesa, Lemon Grove, El Cajon, and Spring Valley, as well as areas of Santee, Lakeside, and some of the unincorporated parts of San Diego County, according to district spokeswoman Kate Breece.
The Helix Water District Centennial Celebration will includes a video and PowerPoint presentation on the district's history, and historic photos on display in the administration office lobby. Cake and chocolates will be served, and souvenir pens will be distributed.
The celebration will take place during the board's regularly scheduled meeting, 5 p.m. Nov. 6 in the district's administrative office, 7811 University Ave., La Mesa.