.

Gingham Restaurant Plans to Reopen Thursday in Wake of Exterior Fire

Oily rags self-combusting led to propane tank explosions Sunday morning on La Mesa Boulevard.

Updated at 12:42 p.m. Dec. 11, 2012

Gingham hopes to be back serving diners Thursday—four days after a series of propane tank explosions damaged its exterior.

“We are aiming to reopen our doors to the public this Thursday, December 13th!” said a Facebook post Monday, a day the diner is normally dark. “If anything changes you will all be the first to know!”

Original story:

 

 Residents near the downtown Village awoke to violent booms Sunday and saw fireballs above Gingham, but the blaze was limited to the restaurant’s exterior and nobody was hurt.

Five or six propane tanks exploded—among 30-35 stored in an outside area of the popular restaurant, authorities said. The tanks are used for patio heating lamps.

“Quite frankly, from the size of the fireballs, I expected even more damage,” said neighbor Michael Franklin, who saw the fire from his upstairs balcony. “My wife thought my nephew had fallen out of bed at first.”

Franklin said the fireballs rose at least 100 feet high.

Stored oily rags combusted and set off the series of morning explosions, said Heartland Fire & Rescue spokesman Sonny Saghera.

First reported at 5:48 a.m., one engine company responded to a report of a rubbish fire at the scene, Saghera said. But when tanks began exploding, three other engines were called as well as a truck company.

Quick action from the nearby Allison Avenue fire station limited damage to the dining spot at 8384 La Mesa Blvd. and the adjacent McCrea Music Company.

Robert James, who lives near the scene, said he heard explosions with a force strong enough to knock people off their feet. He said at least seven homes were evacuated.

Another witness was Bill Dick, who shared the attached photo of the Gingham blaze, taken about 5:55 a.m.

 “I was getting in my car a few blocks away and heard an explosion,” he said. “I looked up and saw a pulsing orange glow in the fog over downtown. I drove up La Mesa Boulevard to a police barricade at the funeral home.”

He said he parked and walked to watch the fire for a few minutes and heard more explosions.

“Each one was a loud bang with a burst of white flame shooting high over the restaurant,” Dick said. “There was a group of four onlookers standing at the funeral home.  Neighbors were standing in front of their houses or walking toward the fire as I was leaving.”

Gentry McCrea, son of the owner of McCrea Music Company, said Heartland Fire originally thought the blaze affected only their store, which adjoins Gingham. He said there was smoke damage and some instruments got wet.

“I’m definitely relieved,” McCrea said. “I’m amazed that they were able to contain it when the fuel for the fire was propane.”

McCrea said the fire was so hot it melted the brass handle on the back door. He said morning walkers frequent the area and was glad nobody was hurt.

He said the store had scheduled music lessons Sunday, “and I think we’ll be OK.”

Co-owner and executive chef Brian Malarkey told Patch that an investigation is under way and a decision will come later on when to reopen. The restaurant opened less than a year ago in a space formerly occupied by Gio’s Bistro and Wine Bar.

U-T San Diego reported that damage was estimated at $50,000.

Wayne S December 09, 2012 at 06:57 PM
"Things I Learned" yeah watched the video. I see where your going there but if they wanted to burn down their restaurant they would have caused the fire to have happened INSIDE the restaurant. Did you even read the article? Oily rags combusted and in turn caused explosions from the nearby propane tanks. End of story.
Things I Learned December 09, 2012 at 07:36 PM
I'm not saying that at all. Just making a political point about our commie president.
Wayne S December 09, 2012 at 07:44 PM
I see. Sort of. lol
Miss Kitty December 09, 2012 at 10:48 PM
What in the he$l has the President have to do with exploding propane tanks????? I think you have A LOT more things to learn....like commenting on the facts instead of your political ramblings.
Scott Springett December 10, 2012 at 01:32 PM
Exciting! Great way to start the day!
Komfort December 10, 2012 at 03:39 PM
Why is this a laughing matter, Wayne?
Kevin George December 10, 2012 at 06:15 PM
The guy in the middle video says he was awakened by a rooster and then saw the fire. It must be the same rooster who was spotted down the block by Kelly Weiboldt and reported in this article. http://www.lamesatoday.com/ Roosters are illegal in the City, but he alerted the neighbors to the fire. Quite a dilemma. Perhaps the rooster should get a City commendation at tonights Council and then be served as the main course directly afterwards.
Batman December 10, 2012 at 09:47 PM
It's a good thing these were small propane tanks. Entire towns have been leveled by railroad tank cars exploding like this.
Things I Learned December 10, 2012 at 10:48 PM
What an odd thing to say.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2OPhLTZgw
Things I Learned December 10, 2012 at 10:53 PM
A good rooster like that you don't eat all at once.
Komfort December 10, 2012 at 11:02 PM
Rags filled with grease from high fat content foods get stored next to railroad tank cars?
Batman December 11, 2012 at 09:11 PM
S*** happens.
Batman December 11, 2012 at 09:13 PM
Scott, were you there?

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something