A family was evacuated from their Mt. Helix home on Thursday morning, after a garage fire spread into the attic of the home.
At 9:02 a.m. the San Miguel Fire District in cooperation with CAL FIRE, and assistance from Heartland Fire, and American Medical Response were dispatched to a fully involved structure fire in the 4100 block of Avoyer Place.
Upon arrival flames were shooting several feet into the air, also igniting a large tree in the front yard. A swift attack kept the blaze on the south half of the home. Although the garage roof did collapse, the fire was stopped, saving half the home from destruction. No other homes were damaged.
Residents indicated there was slight presence of smoke in the kitchen area, but initially dismissed it as coming from food cooking on the stove. As the smoke intensified one resident reportedly went outside to investigate. Seeing heavier smoke coming from the garage, he opened the door and watched as the fire erupted into massive flames.
The fire quickly spread from the garage into the attic and part of the home.
With the screams of “fire,” family members began to evacuate. Residents inside the home had to carry the elderly female homeowner to safety. Another neighbor entered the home and carried a young woman who was asleep in a back bedroom to safety.
Two people were treated on scene, one for a small gash to the forehead, the other for smoke inhalation, both declined transport. No other injuries were reported. Early damage estimates are $250,000 to the structure, and $50,000 to contents. The section of the home that was saved is estimated having a $150,000 value.
Also damaged was one vehicle and a section of fence. There is no indication from residents that smoke alarms were installed or working.
The San Miguel District reminds all San Diego County residents that smoke alarms save lives and reduces Fire injuries and death.
–Taken from San Miguel Fire press release.