.

Former SDSU Frat House Catches Fire

The fire at the rental property near La Mesa caused $250,000 in damages.

Patch file photo.
Patch file photo.

Ten people were displaced when discarded smoking material sparked a fire at a former fraternity house near San Diego State University early today, causing $250,000 in damage, authorities said.

The fire at 5071 College Ave. in San Diego was reported at 5:12 a.m. and knocked down about 25 minutes later, according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department. No injuries were reported.

The fire was started by smoldering smoking material in a trash can outside the rear of the house, SDFRD reported, adding that damage was estimated at $150,000 to the structure, $50,000 to its contents and $50,000 to exterior things, including two cars.

The house was formerly used by the fraternity Zeta Beta Tau, but is now a privately owned rental property.

—City News Service

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »