Moving in with a significant other is a major step in any relationship. Moving in together can be exciting; however it can also be a stressful time for both partners. Our moving experts here at TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® San Diego have put together a few tips for taking the next big step in your relationship. Following these simple guidelines can help to reduce the stress, and to make this big day a wonderful memory for both of you.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® San Diego Franchisee Alicia Sorber Gallegos got married one year before opening the San Diego location with husband Pedro. The newly married owners have a unique take on moving in together, after relocating to a new city.
“We moved in to a small Chicago apartment right before getting married. I think what really helped us make a successful move was going through our belongings carefully and getting rid of anything we didn’t need. Nothing is more stressful than starting with a bunch of clutter”
Certified professional organizer Monica Ricci is a renowned organizing expert, speaker and author based in Atlanta. Ricci counsels her clients on effective organizing and simplifying strategies for home and work, and offers free advice at www.CatalystOrganizing.com.
"Try not to be too attached to something simply because it's yours," says Ricci. "You each deserve to keep some items you love. Remember, the more you streamline now, the easier your move will be. "
Ricci and Sorber Gallegos agree proper planning is the key to starting off on the right foot in the early years of marriage. They suggest the following tips for combining households for first-time marriages:
- Go through each house together, and identify which items are duplicates. Talk about each item honestly. If you can legitimately use two of something in your new life, such as televisions or stereos, go ahead and keep both.
- Do the same evaluation for small items, such as silverware, as you do for the larger items. These smaller items can add up quickly, and often produce the most basement or attic clutter.
- Organize with boxes and colored markers. Contact your local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® moving company to purchase a variety of box sizes before you begin so you can appropriately tag and box both items that stay and those that go along the way.
- Think about donating to those in need. If a garage sale isn't of interest, consider donating to local churches or synagogues, homeless shelters or the Salvation Army.
- Experts agree that couples can successfully blend two households if they take time on the front end to address the move. The key, as with all organizing projects, is proper planning. For more moving advice, visit www.twomenandatruck.com.
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the largest franchised moving company in North America. It includes more than 225 locations and more than 1,400 trucks on the road. Each location is independently owned and operated, and sells boxes and packing supplies. Locations complete home and business moves, as well as packing and unpacking services.
For more information, call the San Diego TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® at (858) 877-2100 or visit twomenandatruck.com.