Here's a roundup of news from San Diego County for the week:
– Last year’s number of flu-related deaths was the second-highest recorded total, when 24 deaths were recorded in San Diego County. The highest number of flu-related deaths was the previous year, in 2009-10, when H1N1 was prevalent in the county. County health officials recommend residents get a flu vaccine to avoid health risks. Vaccines are available all across the county. Both very young and elderly people are at high risk of flu-related health risks.
– Seniors in East County can learn about safety without having to travel far next week. The Alpine Sheriff’s Station will host the Senior Safety and Resource Fair Wednesday between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the Alpine Community Center. Participants will learn about a variety of resources available to seniors in San Diego such as the "You Are Not Alone" program, which provides regular in-person check-ups and phone calls to seniors.
– Some children still need to show proof of receiving the pertussis booster shot, but not many vaccination clinics remain. According to the San Diego County Health and Human Services Agency, there are only three whooping cough vaccination clinics in San Diego. Insured parents can take children to a local pharmacy for a free booster shot and vaccinations are also available through county public health centers. So far this year, 367 cases of pertussis have been reported in San Diego County. A schools are being kept out of school because they have not yet had their shots, it was reported earlier this week.
– San Diego County Health and Human Services wants to know if residents threw out their food after the blackout. The agency is conducting a survey to find out whether or not San Diegans kept their perishables after this month’s major power outage.
– County Health and Human Services wants to thank foster families at Santee Lakes. The Santee Kiwanis Club is partnering with HHSA to host a day of fun for San Diego foster families Saturday. More than 200 children and foster parents will be attending the event.