Welcome to Patch Picks! This new weekly feature highlights editor and reader picks of great local businesses, destinations, services, organizations, ways to spend a day off, and more.
Want to suggest a list? Submit your idea in the comment box.
The meatpackers in Green Bay are long gone and Pittsburgh is no longer a steel capital, but it’s hard not to view Sunday's Super Bowl as an all-American showdown, whether preference is given to the Packers or the Steelers.
If the thought of whipping up dozens of snacks, scouring the stores for cases of beer, and cleaning up the aftermath of Super Sunday isn't appetizing, let one of these local venues do all the work.
Here are five great spots to watch the big game:
- During their Super Bowl House Party, Cali Comfort will offer $2 Cali Tailgate Hefs and 50-cent wings, plus Cali gear giveaways, a pool tournament and a beer pong tournament. 8910 Troy St., Spring Valley, 619-337-0670.
- Jolt'n Joe's: Instead of crowding around a dinky TV set in someone’s living room to watch the game, how does four huge projection screens, plus 30 additional monitors and high-end sound systems sound to you? Jolt'n Joe's will offer all that and more, including drink specials during the game. 8076 La Mesa Blvd., La Mesa, 619-466-2591.
- Pete’s Place: Pete’s Super Bowl party will feature the San Diego Chargers’ J3 Tailgate Crew’s famous BBQ brisket and ribs, plus pot luck side dishes and six flat screen TVs. 8330 La Mesa Blvd., La Mesa, 619-464-9535.
- : Of course a venue called Sportman’s will be celebrating the big game in style—drink specials will be offered all day (including $2 beers) plus special snacks and more. 7350 Broadway, Lemon Grove, 619-461-7063.
- Tarroz Sports Bar:Serves only beer and wine—and offers pool tables, darts, bar top video games and a juke box. 7745 University Ave, La Mesa, 619-741-6677