Can you believe it’s October already? We’re entering holiday season quickly, which means plenty of fun activities in and around town. Break out your mugs and Tyrolean hats and get ready for Oktoberfest this weekend around the county. Also take note of free and admission for kids during October. The kids can see for free!
This weekend, Sept. 30-Oct. 2, get out and visit various sites in and around Mt. Helix for some fall fun. Choose from two Oktoberfests to spend your weekend at, one in El Cajon and one in La Mesa. Take your kids to a cooking class where they’ll learn how to cook healthy and inventive pizzas.
Get out of town for beneficial fun run at an elementary school in Lemon Grove or travel to Julian for an apple festival. The trolley dances are back in Santee and if you like to get spooked, visit the Del Mar Fairgrounds for the first weekend of the Scream Zone.
Click the links for more details.
BEST BETS CLOSE TO HOME
- When/where: , 1017 S Mollison Ave, El Cajon, various hours Friday-Sunday.
- Why go: Enjoy a beer garden, real German food, costumes, games, raffles and more. You know it’s the real deal when it’s put on by the German American Societies.
- Price: $5, free for 21 and younger and active military.
- When/where: , 8371 La Mesa Blvd., La Mesa, 11 a.m.-11:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday; noon-5 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Celebrate Oktoberfest with a Bavarian beer garden, live music, food vendors and crafts.
- Price: Free.
- When/where: , 8350 Mount Vernon St., Lemon Grove, 10 a.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Partake in a fun run and silent auction that will benefit the elementary school.
- Price: Donations accepted
- When/where: Culinary Adventures Cooking School, 6267 Lake Lucerne Dr., San Diego, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Kids ages 6-13 will learn how to make pizzas, including fruit pizzas ans BBQ pizzas.
- Price: $25.
- When/where: The Spring Valley Inn, 9034 Campo Rd., Spring Valley, 4 p.m. Saturday.
- Why go: Before they became almost famous, The Beat Farmers would play at the cozy Spring Valley Inn in the early ’80s. Saturday the party returns to the SVI with The Farmers playing in the parking lot, with friends Sara Petite and Cactus 5.
- Price: Free
BEST BETS, A LITTLE FARTHER OUT
- When/where: Santee Trolley Square, 9884 Mission Gorge Rd., Santee, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: Climb aboard the trolley at Grantville and head toward the Santee Trolley Square. At five stops along the way you’ll see performance by the San Diego Dance Theater, including instructors, students and choreographers.
- Price: $10-$30.
- When/where: Menghini Winery, 1150 Julian Orchards Dr., Julian, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
- Why go: It’s all things apple at the Julian Apple Days Festival. Feast on sweet treats, pick a pumpkin, play games and lots more.
- Price: $5.
- When/where: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, 7 p.m.-midnight Friday and Saturday; 7-11 p.m. Sunday.
- Why go: Take a haunted hayride, travel through the house of horrors, drink deadly drinks and eat evil edibles at the Scream Zone.
- Price: $15-$28.