Former Padres television broadcaster Mel Proctor is among 50 remaining candidates for the open public address announcer job at Petco Park, the team announced Friday.
The list also includes five women; residents of Georgia, New Hampshire, Ohio and Texas; a professional wrestler; a California Highway Patrol officer; and announcers at college, high school and SeaWorld San Diego events.
About half of the candidates had auditioned at the Padres' FanFest last month. The rest will step to the mic Saturday at Petco Park, during an event in which people can win season tickets by swatting a home run.
"The diversity of our Top 50 is a reflection of the great diversity of San Diego," said Wayne Partello, the Padres chief marketing officer. "We're taking this search very seriously because this individual will be the voice of Petco Park."
The Padres said each of the candidates will announce at least one batter during two Padres exhibition games against the Cleveland Indians at the University of San Diego on March 28 and March 29.
The field will be narrowed to 30 prior to the start of the regular season on March 30. They will each have a chance to announce part of a game during the season-opening series against the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Fans will vote online and via social media to reduce the pool to 10 in early April. The final three will each announce a full game before the winner is picked in mid-April, the Padres said.
Proctor called Padres' games on television for five years, including the National League championship season of 1998. He also authored a book on his experiences.
Nearly 800 people had applied or had their names submitted for the job.
The PA announcer who is selected for this season will replace Frank Anthony, who was the team's stadium voice since Petco Park opened in 2004. The team has not revealed why the Padres and Anthony parted ways.
—City News Service